I started personal training with a lovely lady named Julie. She and I have very similar interests and she is very personable. She also keeps me accountable and kicks my butt during sessions. However, I think my session yesterday was a little rough.
I mentioned that my mother had mentioned that my legs will become slimmer and "more shapely" with running and working out in general. Julie took this as "Let's do more squats!" I went through the entire 50 minute session, but after a few hours, my legs were hurting pretty bad. I did some stretches and took some Advil, but nothing seemed to work.
I ended up toughing through the pain because I had bought Dan and our mutual friend Scott tickets to the Cubs v. Diamondbacks game. We're all Cubs fans, Dan being the most fanatic of us, so I didn't want to ruin the evening. Of course, the game went 12 innings and I could hardly walk up and down the stairs, half-joking that Dan owed me so much for staying the entire game.
Fast forward to today. I can move around. It's mostly my quadriceps, or thighs, that are hurting. When I'm walking and moving around, it isn't as bad, but unfortunately, sitting down and getting up makes me scream out in pain. I also cannot go up and down stairs very well. I am thinking that I probably exerted myself too much and, again, didn't listen to my body telling me to stop. This learning process seems to be coming very swiftly for me. I guess the moral of today is to listen to your body when you're exercising. If it hurts too much to even complete a set, stop. It is better to be able to function normally the next day than suffer to do simple activities. Being sore is one thing, but never compromise your health because you think getting that *one* set in will make your work-out "worth it." It's not.
No comments:
Post a Comment