Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Running Outside Sucks

Let me just state this: I live in Arizona. It's July. Running outside should never be a reality, even to a seasoned runner. I don't care if it's "only" 92 degrees outside. I feel like that's still the sun just taking a quick smoke break to roast Death Valley to extra crispy before coming back to the Valley. However, my cousin gave me the advice of running outside. It's all fine and dandy to be able to run forever on a treadmill, but when you're in actual races, there is no mystical moving belt that isn't going to stop for anything.

First mistake: Trusting my phone's weather app when it told me it was 88 degrees outside.

Seeing that it was "only 88," I decided to go for it. I had already run for a bit at the gym and did some weights, but I didn't feel like I had finished working out.

Second mistake: Capris

I had already thrown my other workout clothes in the wash, so I decided to wear my cotton capris. I also wanted something with pockets, since I wanted to track my run with a few apps on my phone. They seem light, until you want to do anything physical. They are fantastic pants for lounging around the house, just not so good for being active.

Third mistake: It's 1pm

Again, I live in Arizona. In the summer months, although it is the myth of a "dry heat," you pretty much resort to either staying inside, or busting a move from one air conditioned place to another. Anything after about 11am, all the way up until 9pm or 10pm can be brutal in terms of heat.

I decided that 1:15pm was fine, since my phone told me it was 88 degrees. There was a breeze as well, so I figured, eh, what the heck, I'll do it!

As you can see, I did end up making it. However, most of it was a walk instead of a run. I probably only ran for a total of maybe a third to half a mile, if that. But my biggest accomplishment is that I actually did it. My first 5k starts at 7pm, which can be hit or miss with the heat in September. I should probably run outside either early in the morning or later in the evening, but I'd rather be safer next time. Either way, I was proud that I was able to at least be outside and be active, despite hating the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment