I started working out and running about 3 weeks ago. I took 5 days off because I got very sick, but I started back up with the running on the treadmill. Every day gets a little easier. I don't run every day, as much as I want to. I alternate with some weight machines / free weights and running. If I do run on a "weights day," I keep it to about a mile. However, yesterday (7/22/13), I decided to push myself. I wanted to see how far I could go. Although it was the treadmill, I was determined to try and make it to 2 miles (my previous "record" was running for 1.5 miles straight). My warm-up has always been a quick walk for about .3 or so of a mile. Today was no different. However, once I hit 2 miles, I kept thinking "Okay, maybe I can do just a half mile more." That process kept repeating until I realized I was close to a full 5k. A 5k is roughly 3.2 miles, so when I hit the 3 mile mark, I thought again "Just another half a mile..and I've run a 5k!" I ultimately did it and I was so proud that I nearly cried right there at the gym. My pace that great (about 15-16 minutes a mile), but the simple fact that I could do it boosted my confidence. Now that I know that I can do it, I just need to figure out how to maintain it and maybe get a little faster. Thankfully, both runs that I am signed up for are not timed, so even if I take 45 minutes to run the full length, I won't be penalized.
I realize that I pushed myself really hard really early. This is definitely not recommended. My back kills today and I am pretty much in a forced day of rest. I would never suggest this to someone who is just starting out. I admit that I've made some silly mistakes that are not that great for my body, but it is definitely a learning process. I'm still trying to learn the signals my body gives me and what I can and cannot do yet. It takes time and I ought to listen better to my body. We will see how the rest of the week goes. :) Overall, I'm excited that I am physically capable of doing it. Now, I just want to be able to do it without suffering the next day.

No comments:
Post a Comment